Pages

Square Eyes

I am a big television fan. I feel like that's a slightly strange thing to say, because somehow it's more socially acceptable to be a fan of films, even though more of us probably watch tv on a daily basis!

But I think there are so many tv programmes that are so well made and so enjoyable, and I love knowing that when I come home on a certain day of the week, I will have certain programmes to watch. Don't get me wrong, I watch plenty of trashy television too but my point is that there's lots of quality stuff out there.

So here are a few shows that I'm loving at the moment:

Game of Thrones


I'm sure you already either watch it, or have everyone you know who does asking you to watch it. I've read the books, and while they are hard-going, I love the story and the tv show does such a good job of interpreting it for the small screen. If by some small chance you don't know the premise of GoT: imagine medieval Europe, but in an alternate world where mystical creatures and happenings exist. In essence, I suppose the story centres around the fight for the 'Iron Throne' and to rule the Seven Kingdoms...but there's so much more to it than that. There are so many storylines and characters that even if you're not keen on one there's still much more to interest you...just try not to get too attached!

Here's a little joke for you: Why does George R. R. Martin not have twitter? Because he killed all 140 characters.

Oh, and if you're looking for any more reasons:


Favourite character: Daenerys Targaryen/Jon Snow/Arya (can't choose...and there's so many other great ones!)

Grey's Anatomy



I have loved Grey's since my first year of university, when I binge-watched the first five or so seasons in the month before I started exams. Silly move.

While I don't think it's at its best at the moment, and I'm not really too keen on the news that the writer wants to keep it going for another ten seasons, I honestly think Grey's is one of the best dramas around. The characters are so well developed and the storylines are usually really engaging. And I do love the medical drama aspect, which keeps the pace of each episode going.

Favourite Character: Alex

Sherlock


If you don't watch Sherlock, I'm sure you've heard quite enough about it already in the last few weeks and are probably quite glad that its not clogging up your twitter/tumblr/facebook feeds any more!

But on the other hand, if you don't watch Sherlock - what are you doing?! There's only nine episodes (albeit 90 minutes each) and each one is brilliant, funny, tense and heartfelt in varying measures. And if you watch it all now you'll understand the agony the rest of us are in when we have to wait a year or more for the next season!

Doctor Who 


Really, who doesn't want to fly off with the Doctor in his little blue box? Though I often have a bone to pick with some episodes of Doctor Who, on the whole, I have such a soft spot for it and I challenge anyone who has watched it not to feel the same.

Hart of Dixie


This is a bit of a random one, and I'm not really suggesting it's high quality television, but I do know that it is enjoyable, easy-watching and it almost makes me want to live in Bluebell, Alabama.

Oh, and this helps...


Once Upon A Time


I didn't really expect to like this one, but the storyline quickly sucked me in! I like the format of the events of the present being mixed in with flashbacks, and the way they interpret the traditional fairytales is really clever and interesting. Again, I don't think it's going to win any awards anytime soon but it is a really enjoyable watch!

Favourite character: I feel I can't say without giving away later seasons. From Season 1...probably Mary Margaret/Snow or Ruby/Red.

Downton Abbey


The characters, the plots, the settings, the costumes, the humour - all hail Dame Maggie Smith! - I love it all. Get watching this if for some reason you're not!

Favourite character: Branson/Dowager Countess/Daisy

Of course, as I said, I love my trashy shows like Made in Chelsea, What Happens in Kavos and just about every BBC3 "documentary" ever made but I don't feel like I have much of a defence for them...

What are some of your favourite shows?

EDIT: I forgot The Walking Dead - shame on me!

14 comments:

  1. did Sherlock end already after three episodes? it wasnt on this week!
    Lizzy | elizabethsophiee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes :( It's always just three episodes and every season that upsets me! I know they're all 90 mins but still!
      xx

      Delete
  2. I have heard so much about Sherlock and Game of Thrones! Hart of Dixie, though, not so much! However, as you said, that guy does make me want to watch it! haha!
    I love Revenge but have been meaning to watch another show: Once upon a time or Hart of Dixie (because of the guy!) ?!
    xoxo,

    BerryBloomXO.blogspot.co.uk 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I've heard a lot about Revenge, never got round to watching though.
      If I were to pick one I'd say...Once Upon a Time, as its a better storyline but if you're wanting something more lighthearted maybe Hart of Dixie :)
      xx

      Delete
  3. Once upon a time is my favorite! I love that show :)

    xo Mélane
    Selfhelp | Inspiration | Motivation

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might just have to watch Hart of Dixie now haha! x

    Essence of Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's quite the incentive isn't it?! :P
      xx

      Delete
  5. i will have to watch Hart of Dixie!
    Great post hun:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so bad with tv shows, I always forget about them and end up missing episodes and getting way behind!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when that happens! Luckily, I normally only forget if it's a programme I'm not loving - in which case it's not a big loss! xx

      Delete
  7. Have you seen the weather outside?! We NEED to stay indoors :)

    I love Sherlock, but this series I felt was just a little lacking... I don't know, it just didn't feel as good as the first two I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha exactly!!

      Hmm, I really enjoyed this series though if I'm honest, it's been so long since I've seen the first two now I feel I can't properly compare them!

      xx

      Delete