Pages

Divergent

My latest obsession has been these books. I always find it hard knowing what to read next - I'm not very good at picking books from the bookstore and much prefer being recommended one to try. After a bit of Googling and sifting through YouTube book reviews, I came across the Divergent trilogy. Not totally convinced I would love it, I initially only ordered the first installment which I quickly realised was a massive error. Within a few days I had finished the book and was ready to move on to the second and so I had to order it immediately. My poor Postman, I could have saved him a trip!



You may well have heard of the Divergent trilogy already, and if not you will soon because the film of the first book is due in cinemas next year. I won't link the trailer, because if you're like me you'll prefer to read the books and get a picture of the scenes and characters in your own mind before the movie images replace them, but there's several of them on YouTube if you want to have a look.

The books are set in a dystopian future in this world where society is split into five 'factions' based on aspects of human nature this society deems to be the most important and beneficial. When children reach 16, they take a test to determine which faction they have the most aptitute for and then choose whether to stay in the faction they have grown up in, or to leave their faction and their family behind for a new faction. The story centres around Tris, who gets an unusual test result which means she is 'Divergent'. As with a lot of trilogies, the story progresses from dealing with the issues of the protagonist to the society and eventually to a larger conflict.

If you liked books like the Hunger Games, then I'm confident you'll like this. Divergent even has the added bonus that the third book isn't a let down, as unfortunately I often find to be the case. That said, it isn't my favourite out of the three as there is a big chunk in the middle that is a bit slow and the ending is fitting though not necessarily satisfying...but that's enough before I start to give away any spoilers!

I found the series so gripping and one of these books that you just can't put down. This is great in a lot of ways, but means I am once again without a current book to read so if you have any recommendations please let me know!

6 comments:

  1. Perfect timing, I've been looking for a new book to sink my teeth into!
    I did love the hunger games (not the 3rd one in particular) so this is something that sounds perfect for me.

    { Teffys Perks Blog } X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not heard of these, but I haven't been very 'up' on these kind of trilogies, sounds intriguing though.

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely give it a go if you're not reading anything at the moment, an easy read but an interesting story! xx

      Delete
  3. I loved the Divergent triology almost all the way through, except the ending of Allegiant. Anything you would recommend now? :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the ending was a bit controversial. I quite liked it in the sense that not many authors are brave enough to do that...but it was still quite gutting.
      Right now I've just started a book called Dominion which is set in post-war Britain, but in a world where we surrendered to the Nazis. It's early days so I don't know what I think yet but the concept is interesting...a bit harder going than Divergent though!
      xx

      Delete